> The first mainframe I worked on was single user, single tasking and all jobs
> were
>
> submitted as "batch" as in a batch of cards.  :-)
>
> Second Mainframe I worked on supported lots of users but to the user it was
>
> still small amount of interactive and the rest batch.  multi-user was done
> thru
>
> VM370 which made it look like we all were the only users on out machine.
>
> Third Mainframe I worked on  was primarily interactive with many user during
>
> the day and then ran lots of batch jobs at night.

The last mainframe I worked on was a 9020/9X2, some time in '95 or '96 maybe -
the biggest S390 IBM made, and for a while, I could use it as my personal
computer (in fact, a memo was sent across the organisation I worked in that one
of the issues with the regulatory bodies had been caused by 'some persons
regarding the production mainframes as their personal toy') although that
happened already before the 9020 generation

Not that the 9020/9X2 was all play though. One of my duties was to narrate
tours of the data center, and I usually built up the narrative to showing the
nice and big dials of the water cooling. There were three - inlet temp, outlet
temp, and flow, IIRC. But I hadn't been there on the weekend the 9X2 was
delivered, and I kind of assumed that the dials would be behind the same door.
Took me 3 tries to find them...

But another thing I remember from that tour is that I opened the door on one of
the CPU frames, but not as usual on the side where the water cooling was
visible - the TCM array of 4x4, with that many red and blue hoses. On the other
side you had the power supplies, also in a 4x4 array - and probably more
impressive if you read the labels. '3.3V 500A', that kind of thing - not sure I
remember correctly, it might've been 300A. But whichever, 16 of those, and then
times 10 for all 10 CPUs.

That made the distinction between mini and mainframe quite clear to me. Sure
there's a very broad middle ground, but nothing I ever saw in the mini space
was remotely on the same playing field as this stuff.

-- my n=1, cheers all!
Sytse