If you posted your design as Open Source, someone else producing it isn't a knockoff, it's the system working as intended.
 -- Chris

I remember a talk by LadyADA of Adafruit at HOPE about starting a company making open source hardware and success and all that. It's easy if you have the marketing and big revenue stream, but eventually people will copy the designs. Also there are cases where multiple people have the same idea, I have projects that I started and didn't finish but I bet if I look around someone else has made the same thing and filled in the gaps.

The first XT-IDE I ever came across was on I think a Chinese site called Seed Studio. From memory it was a single CPLD (I think?) and EPROM, it was a pretty sexy design but I've never seen them in the wild. I reached out to them and they said they would produce them. Later I found out about other ones and own some of the Glitchworks ones and have bought a few of the TexElec ones for special laptops (Tandy 1400FD / Yamaha C1.)

Also, big HP versus USB logic analyzer. I had one of those old HP logic analyzers a while ago and it was really slow. Way easier to use the USB ones when it comes to portability and software speed. Plus easier to store captures, share data without a GPIB plotter, etc.

I have one of the DSLogic ones and it does what I need, and as I recally there is a hack where you can solder in a SMD DRAM IC and expand the memory (upgrading it DIY to a higher model) if one cares to. Don't know if it's a clone, didn't research it that hard. Sold the HP years ago, never up-paid for the Rigol with the logic analyzer functions since the USB ones were so much cheaper in comparison.

--
: Ethan O'Toole