This evening I went to check Vstart for any oscillation. However, all of a
sudden, the current draw is down to 85mA and PWM has started working. I am at a
loss to explain it. I wondered if there might be a dry joint, but I have tried
a few light taps and shakes and it continues to work. Perhaps your idea of some
debris causing a short might explain it, otherwise I just don't know.

I am thinking I may put it back together and test with a light bulb in series.

Regards

Rob