> I will do all the suggested checks, but I won't be able to do this for a
> number of days. However, I wanted to understand something in the meantime.
> The conditions I am applying are (I think!) what would happen during
> startup, and during startup the control board has to make the PWM run,
> otherwise the main switching transistor won't operate and the transformer
> won't operate to produce the -12V in the first place. So surely in the
> startup condition I am applying (which is to supply Vstart from a bench PSU)
> is valid? Where is the flaw in my reasoning here?

The PSU also gives a kick start to the -12V line by applying some negative
voltage probably around -15V to it via a 2k7 resistor (on sheet 1).  If
you are not providing this, perhaps this is why the -12V line is able to
swing slightly positive and upset conditions in the -12V current sense
circuit enough to prevent the PWM from starting?

Even if you are providing this resistor limited -12V startup supply, could
it be insufficient due to a faulty component leaking current from the
-12V line to ground meaning that the -12V line does not become sufficiently
negative to fulfil the startup conditions?

Could the PWM be managing to start up and run for a cycle or two and then
stop due to a fault in the PWM circuit somehow attempting to draw too much
current from the -12V line?  I don't see any connections from the -12V line
to the PWM so this is probably not the case.

Is this the same PSU whose chopper transistor exploded a while back?  Could
there be any carbon deposits remaining on the board or conductive remnants
wedged under components etc causing leakage from the -12V line to ground?

Regards,
Peter.