On 2023-06-07 17:14, Warner Losh via cctalk wrote:
On Wed, Jun 7, 2023, 1:59 PM Yeechang Lee via cctalk<cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

db says:
As we were painfully made aware when people tried to run comm
programs and they didn't work because we used the Z8530 to get dual
serial ports.
Hyperion was not alone in having trouble with comm ports. Columbia
University (my alma mater) reported in January 1984 that unmodified Kermit
ran on Compaq and Columbia PCs, but Eagle and Seequa needed custom code.

I highly recommend the Kermit mailing list archives<
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ftp/e/info-kermit.txt>; it contains
massive amounts of information for anyone interested in classic computers.

The DEC Rainbow also hit these issues and needed its own custom version of
kermit...

Warner

But IIRC the DEC Rainbow never claimed to be IBM-compatible.  The very lack of the 640mB limit and the video processor that enabled it which let me run my company's spreadsheet without LIM memory proves that!

--
Nigel Johnson, MSc., MIEEE, MCSE VE3ID/G4AJQ/VA3MCU
Amateur Radio, the origin of the open-source concept!