> On Jan 4, 2024, at 5:38 PM, Rob Jarratt via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> Sad news but a great article Liam, thanks for the interesting history.
>
> The second language I taught myself was Algol 68 (!), on a DECSYSTEM20. I
> learned Pascal at University, when I did my M.Sc I used VAX Pascal on a VAX
> 11/780 and went on to use it as my first professional language. I loved VAX
> Pascal, I could do just about anything I wanted with it. Of course, it wasn't
> very "pure" Pascal.
>
> Incidentally, I have asked a couple of times before, but if anyone knows of
> any media with Algol68C for PDP10 I would love to get hold of it.

That would be neat, indeed.  Where did that one come from?  I remember a well
regarded Algol68 subset compiler from the Royal Radar Establishment in the UK.
Don't remember what machine(s) it targeted.

There's an Algol68g (GPL-licensed open source implementation).  I haven't tried
it yet.

I think the CDC 6000 Algol 68 is still around somewhere.  That one was created
in Holland.