On 2/27/24 15:43, Wayne S via cctalk wrote:
> I know you do this for a living and are good at it. Most of us don’t do it as
> a living but have piles of floppies that we want to recover cheaply using an
> existing  method. Grease, cat and  other wezels, are fine but you have to do
> more work to get usable stuff, unless your floppies are all c64 😀 The
> applesauce just seems further along than the others.
> Just my opinion.

To be fair, the OP was talking about replacing the WD disk controller.
As far as I know, WD 17xx and 27xx controllers can do FM and MFM.  Heck,
they can't even do M2FM.

A small exception.  Back in the 1970s, we did do GCR using the WD1781,
which is basically a 1771 without the modulation appendages.  And even
then, it took a Multibus-sized board to implement the scheme.

--Chuck