I'd say the real cost is the second or third system to get spare parts.

that is why I want to replace the WD chip.  the microprocessor talks to it
at bus speed.  the os knows it has to wait, though some waits are for the
wd chip to say it is done.  a SIMPLE mod to the legacy OS can eliminate
those waits, thus IO as fast as a real hard disk, maybe as fast as an SSD.

I love the 1130, the only I/O instructions given to the printer are input.

And the 1620 does addition and multiplication by table lookup.

Again, even if somebody offered me a complete IBM model 30 with disk and
tape drives, I could not afford the shipping.  would probably have to
take out the a window to get it inside (big expense), and it might
instantly become a basement installation.  I'd have to have much more
power and A/C installed.  And no spare parts.  Now, any front panels...
Even recreations of front panels would be treasured.  In the 1980s the
Bradford exchange had a 360/40 front panel mounted in their space with
lights artificially flashing.  I might even attempt to modify an
emulator program to flash the lights appropriately.

<pre>--Carey</pre>