For anything more sophisticated than your coffee pot the RP2040 from Raspberry Pie is a fantastic little chip, dual core 133 MHz Cortex M0+ with 8 PIO engines, 264K of RAM, ADC, UART, SPI, I2C all for under a dollar.  I designed a fully functional RP2040 with 16 Mb flash for under $2.00.  In large enough quantities that's encroaching on 8 bit PIC territory at over 1000 times the memory and CPU power.