On 5/24/24 09:14, Sellam Abraham via cctalk wrote:

> This is on the Canonical List of ClassicCmp Debate Topics and is a dead
> horse so beaten that there's nothing left but teeth and fur at this point.

Whatever--the MITS 8800 only I/O was a bunch of switches and LEDs. While
an I/O card could be added, that's as far as MITS went for several
years.  Real I/O was left to the user (i.e. buy a terminal of some sort).

By way of comparison, the HP-41 was far more complete as a personal
computer--it had I/O, expandable storage, input and display.  It was
Turing-complete.  And personal?  I suspect more HP41s were sold than the
entirety of MITS 8800s.

Just pointing out that "firsts" are very difficult.  Even though, for
years, Shockley et al were trumpeted as the "inventors of the
transistor", it's noteworthy that their patent application was carefully
worded to avoid claims from work decades earlier by Julius Lilienfeld.
In an interesting twist of history, it's the Lilienfeld model of a MOS
transistor that prevails in our current technology, not the Shockley
junction device.

I would not be at all surprised if some obscure work turned up that
predates Lilienfeld.  Certainly, "oscillating diodes" were known by his
time, but not commercialized.

"First" is a tricky term, like "best".

--Chuck