OS/9 was an incredible operating system for an 8 bit machine.  Level 1 was a bit limited. But level II,  which could address a megabyte of memory or more, supported multiple tasks, users and intelligent peripherals.  It supported applications in ROM and RAM and made full use of all of the advanced capabilities of the 6809 CPU.

It was a little bit of a memory hog because code written for it had to be written as position independent code.  On the 6809 this could take up more RAM because some of the relative instructions required 16 bits or more to decode.