> On Jun 13, 2024, at 2:00 PM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 6/13/24 10:32, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
>> Huh?  There is no direct connection between word length, register count, and
>> pipeline length.
> Indeed.  There are architectures with NO user-addressable registers.
> Some have memory-mapped registers, where a "register number" is merely
> shorthand for a memory address (i.e. implicit multiplier and base)
>
> --Chuck

There are of course also machines that appear to have registers (in the sense
that the instruction set refers to them) but the implementation is a chunk of
memory.  The PDP-6 is one (and early PDP-10s without the "fast registers"
option).  The Philips PR-8000 may be one as well; the ISA has 8 registers,
times 8 because it has a separate set per interrupt priority level, but there
is a variant of the store instruction that stores to any of these as if it were
memory.  I'm not actually sure if it was implemented that way; 64 registers 24
bits wide would be a substantial cost and bulk in a mid-1960s machine.