On Mon, Jul 01, 2024 at 09:06:47PM -0400, cz via cctalk wrote:
> Actually I am travelling to France in a few weeks and there is an RM80
> platter HDA I could pick up. What is the complexity of just checking it as
> baggage? Do I have to declare it at Customs if the value is like zilch?

I don't know which country you're in, but I'll just asssume the USA as
that's just how this list rolls. There's a duty free amount of (IIRC) $800
below which you don't have to make a customs declaration, or at least don't
have to pay duty. Fags and booze have different rules and limits, but you
could probably argue that the 200-pack of Gitanes and a bottle of Chartreuse
are actually munitions and therefore part of your Second Amendment rights.

There is a machine which I want which is extremely rare outside of the UK,
sellers who ship internationally charge more than I particularly care to
pay, and this might be the reason I finally crack and set foot back on that
benighted island to pick it up in person. If I do, I'll likely blow the €300
import duty limit[0] by some margin on return to the Netherlands.

[0] Or €430 if I fly or take the ferry, but the Eurostar is a no-brainer for
    many reasons. The 21% VAT on the €130 difference is only €27.30, which
    is about the same as a small coffee at Heathrow these days. (There is no
    import duty on most consumer electrical tat such as computers.)