On 7/18/2024 8:56 AM, mark audacity romberg via cctalk wrote:
Why not arrange for a reseller or auction house to buy it wholesale, rather
than having it all destroyed? It’s rare stuff that someone else could enjoy,
and it doesn’t have to be sold piecemeal or involve her dealing with any of the
details.

I once had a reseller offer me $100 for all my DEC stuff.  Including
two brand new, still in the box, modules that they were currently
selling for over $1000 each.  Nobody is going to "enjoy" any of it.
They will pay nothing, sell what has value at ridiculous prices and
trash the rest.  And today, I doubt they would even offer that much
for what I have.

Please don’t have rare, irreplaceable things that other people could enjoy
destroyed. I perfectly understand not wanting to subject her to the hassle of
selling everything, especially while she’s mourning, but there are other ways
than sending them to the grinder.

Sadly, while we value these old computers, the world couldn't care
less and the actual value is mostly nothing.  I have piles of other
"collectables" like sports and other kinds of trading cards.  I have
attempted to sell a lot of it.  So far I have made maybe $20 total
on more than a dozen very old and supposedly rare baseball cards.
Most of the other stuff either sells for less than the postage needed
to send them anywhere or actually has no value at all no matter how
rare.

bill