On Thu, 14 Jun 2001, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From: Matthias Schniedermeyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >> Sorry guys,
> >>
> >> this seems to be the only way to send Bill mail as he still refuses to make
> >> hist mailer standard compliant!
>
> >You aren't any better.
>
> >Your MUA is "broken", "misconfigured" or (User is) "ignorand"
>
> >Your MUA doesn't set the "In-Reply-to" and/or "references"-Headers
>
> >Discussions with more than "a few" Mails (With a high percentage from you)
> >are absolutly HARD to read because no thread-tree can be build.
>
> I am using the standard UNIX mail program and I see no reason why I should
> change this.

You want people to write emails to the gtar Authors to convince them to
make gtar POSIX-compliant.

Conclusion:

YOU have to write a complain to the authors of that programm, so that they
will make it "compliant" to RECENT Email-Standards.

(Or patch it yourself, implementing this feature should be TRIVIAL)

Btw. You know that RFC-822 is "deprecated", RFC-2822 is now THE
Email-Standard. (I don't KNOW it, but i think those headers are defined in
RFC-2822)

Conclusion:

EMail-Programm violating RFC-2822 have to be FIXED.

Maybe i should fetch RFC-2822 and look if you HAVE TO fix you MUA.

Bis denn