Hi,

On 27-Nov-01 Alexander Skwar wrote:
> So sprach »Sam Halliday« am 2001-11-27 um 16:49:31 +0000 :
>> which device must i allow them to use in order that this scheduler can be
>> utilised in cdrecord, and thus preventing buffer underruns under certain
>> circumstances?

cdrecord has to be set UID root (or run as root) as far as I know for real
time scheduling. No normal user process is allowed to increase its priority
above default (nice level 0).

> I have the same setup (Mandrake) as you, and those are my permissions:
>
> [askwar@teich RPM]$ ls -la /usr/bin/cdrecord /dev/scd0
> brw-rw----    1 askwar   cdwriter  11,   0 Aug 30 11:54 /dev/scd0
> -rwsr-s---    1 root     cdwriter   183324 Aug  2 20:56 /usr/bin/cdrecord*
     ^  ^

these "s" say its suid root, which means cdrecord will run with the
priviledges of the  owner and group of the *file* instead of the ones of the
user starting it. In this case user "root", group "cdwriter".

Only this in that above example is that only root and members of cdwrite are
allowed to execute it. If you don't belong to that group it will not run at
all. Depending on the system (single user, multi user in a shared
environment/office) changing the permissions to:
chmod 6755 /usr/bin/cdrecord

would allow everybody to use cdrecord. If not wanted all permitted users have
to be in the group "cdwrite" (see /etc/groups).

K.-H.