> i have set up cdrecord on my sysem allowing certain privileged users part of
> a "cdwriter" group to use the relevant SCSI devices so that they may write
> cd's. although this seems to be running well, users who are not root all get
> the following warning when writing cd's:
> ---
> cdrecord: Operation not permitted. WARNING: Cannot set RR-scheduler
> cdrecord: Permission denied. WARNING: Cannot set priority using
> setpriority().
> cdrecord: WARNING: This causes a high risk for buffer underruns.
> ---
> which device must i allow them to use in order that this scheduler can be
> utilised in cdrecord, and thus preventing buffer underruns under certain
> circumstances?

You probably don't want to change the device at all... instead you want to:
  # chown root.cdrecord /path/to/cdrecord
  # chmod 4754 /path/to/cdrecord

This allows cdrecord to be run only by root and members of the cdrecord
group, and to run with the root access, so you don't need to diddle the
ownership or access of devices.

I think that's in the docs, but it's something I've done for other
things, so I just did it.

--
   -bill davidsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])