>From: Manuel Clos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> Just a thought on making cdrecord smarter for Linux...
>>
>> If a recorder has (claims to have) Burn-proof capability, it would be nice
>> to run the burner at normal priority and with a small fifo, since the only
>> drawback would be slightly slower burning.

>Slower burning is not the only drawback. If you try to burn a cd at full
>capacity and the burn proof has to be used several times, the data won't
>fit. This has happened me with an external freecom. I don't know is
>newer recorders don't do this little separation when starting again.

Slower burning makes the tgime if discomfort longer :-()

>> Perhaps this could be a flag, then if the user selected that option any
>> problems would clearly be of his/her own making.
>>
>> Just a thought, posted from a machine which is VERY sluggish at the
>> moment, doing end-of-week backup.

>Try the preemptive kernel patch for 2.4.17, it makes things *a bit*
>better with ide-scsi.

On Solaris it definitely was a problem how the kernel did handle memory.
In 1998 Solaris 7 allowed to specify "priority paging" in /etc/system
and Solaris 8 even started to make it the default.

With "priority paging" active, memory handling is done different and the
"sticky" feeling has gone.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling