On Fri, 11 Jan 2002, Joerg Schilling wrote:

> >From: Bill Davidsen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >Just a thought on making cdrecord smarter for Linux...
>
> >If a recorder has (claims to have) Burn-proof capability, it would be nice
> >to run the burner at normal priority and with a small fifo, since the only
> >drawback would be slightly slower burning.

> Your proposal would not help unless you told cdrecord to use 512 MB for FIFO.

I didn't know that! So if I tell it to use 512MB it will actually stop
trying to run as a realtime process and will really only use a MB or so?
Is that documented?

> Try to contact the authors of the Linux memory management system.

I'm not sure what they would have to do with your application running
realtime and hogging the system, it seems unrelated to memory other than
you use a LOT even with burn-proof.

> About 4 years ago, Solaris was "sticky" too when I did write CDs.
> After Sun added some special features that helped to separate FS IO needs
> from other needs.

I think you misread my note, I am talking about realtime priority and
making the FIFO large, which is unrelated to IO, other than one
ill-behaved process dominating the system unnecessarily.

--
   -bill davidsen ([EMAIL PROTECTED])