>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri Jan 18 17:32:25 2002

>> >Just a thought on making cdrecord smarter for Linux...
>>
>> >If a recorder has (claims to have) Burn-proof capability, it would be nice
>> >to run the burner at normal priority and with a small fifo, since the only
>> >drawback would be slightly slower burning.
>
>> Your proposal would not help unless you told cdrecord to use 512 MB for FIFO.

>I didn't know that! So if I tell it to use 512MB it will actually stop
>trying to run as a realtime process and will really only use a MB or so?
>Is that documented?

NO, why should it be this way?

But _if_ you usually tell it so use 512  MB of FIFO, it will lock a significant
part of your system ram and make the system slow _because_ you are using a large
FIFO. This cannot be handled even by a smart VM system in a OS.

>> Try to contact the authors of the Linux memory management system.

>I'm not sure what they would have to do with your application running
>realtime and hogging the system, it seems unrelated to memory other than
>you use a LOT even with burn-proof.

When cdrecord makes your machine sticky, it IS ONLY caused by a badly
implemented VM system in the kernel.

>> About 4 years ago, Solaris was "sticky" too when I did write CDs.
>> After Sun added some special features that helped to separate FS IO needs
>> from other needs.

>I think you misread my note, I am talking about realtime priority and
>making the FIFO large, which is unrelated to IO, other than one
>ill-behaved process dominating the system unnecessarily.

You seem to missunderstand realtime priority!

If you ommit realtime priority, the system may cause a buffer underrun.

But as cdrecord usually only uses 2% of the available CPU time, it does
not load the system _because_ it is running in realtime priority.

Again If the system feels sticky, this is a result of a bad VM implementation.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling