On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 12:16:54PM -0400, Mike Morrey wrote:
>          Funny enough, my old Pioneer Standalone player (DV414) can play
> anything I throw at it. DVD-RW, DVD-R, etc etc... My roommate's newer Sony
> player can't even play a CD-R!

Many Sony DVD players are known to only read commercially pressed discs,
unless you get a dual laser model.  I have had luck with a few silver
aACER CD-R on a Sony 550 though, which otherwise doesn't read anything
non commercially made.

>          That was gonna be my next question - what was DVD+RW supposed to
> offer above DVD-RW?

Better compatibility with older DVD players and DVD rom drives.
Oh and cheaper too I think.  Not sure if they have done either yet.
And the initial adopters are not too happy with the DVD+RW / DVD+R
ability promised and not delivered.

Len Sorensen