On 2002.05.16, Joerg Schilling wrote:
:
: I still see no real advantage:
: -     The DVD+RW must be formatted to be used
: -     If the DVD-RW is formatted it may be used a block device too.
: I see s stong disadvantage with DVD+R: it is incompatible with DVD+RW.

We are trying to assess the different DVD R and DVD RW technologies
for our own data archive needs. We bought a HP 100i about 6 weeks ago
and a 200i about  1.5 weeks ago. We're not experts. Our attempts are
based on methods described in various docs posted around the net.

Here's the results of our testing of the HP 100i and 200i Drives under
Linux. Note we have only tested them with small (1.5) GB data sets so far.

DVD+RW:

Both the  HP 100i and 200i will Write and Read DVD+RW.

 We used growisofs which uses a formating tool (dvd+rw-format) and
 mkisofs to create file systems on the disk. The output from mkisofs
 goes directly to the raw device.  cdrecord is not used.

 Most of our PC DVD-R's will read the DVD+RW disk. Laptop drives would
 not.  Data can be added to the disks using 'growisofs'', but deleting
 requires a re-format, and re-writing.

DVD+R:

ONLY the 200i will Write and Read DVD+R.

 We used mkisofs and cdrecord, much like we do for CD+RW.  The 200i is
 the only drive we can get to read the disks. No other drive we have
 (including the 100i) can read them.

My personal conclusions:

DVD+RW: Useful. Drives are inexpensive. Media costs are medium.
        Requires similar kinds of planning and scripting as multi-session
        CDR's . Are usable on other drives.

DVD+R: Not currently useful. Drives are inexpensive, but only one is out.
       Few if any DVD drives can read these disks.

--
Frank Hage  [EMAIL PROTECTED]