>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Fri May 17 18:05:18 2002

>> The dvd+r format and grow tools are a hack and work because people know

>"[programs] work because people know"??? I used to believe that people
>use programs because they work. I haven't seen anything work just
>because I believed it does:-)

????? Sounds confused....

cdrecord works for many different drives. People know this and expect
it either to fail decently or to handle the drive.

The tools from you only make sense with DVD+RW and people know this!

>> that they are for DVD+RW only.

>The idea behind growisofs is generic (what do you do when the target
>media has no session or track notion, yet don't want to remaster the
>whole thing?) and the program can be used with arbitrary random r/w
>access device, in particular with DVD-RAM (a hint for "L. Cranswick"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, see http://fy.chalmers.se/~appro/linux/DVD+RW/tools/:-).

With DVD-RAM you could use any FS because it behaves like a hard disk.

>> I did not yet test compatibility, but i heard that no Toshiba drive
>> will read these disks because they are not approved by the DVD-Forum.

>Strange logic again. It sounds like if DVD Forum adopts DVD+RW tomorrow,

Why should they?

There is an approved format for nearly 5 years!

>Toshiba drives would just start reading these disks? It's rather that
>Toshiba refuses to lift a finger to figure out what's the problem using
>the fact that DVD+RW is not adopted by DVD+RW forum as an excuse, and a
>*lame* one. I have received a number of reports about Toshiba notebook
>drives contradicting each other. Some people have no problems whatsoever
>mounting DVD+RW media in their Toshiba notebook drives (found in HP,
>IBM, Dell, Compaq, Sony, Fujitsu, etc. notebooks), some (including me)
>have partial success (sometimes it gets mounted and then provides
>perfect playback), but most have indeed no luck at all. And doesn't
>appear to be a matter of good or bad Toshiba firmware... As mentioned on
>my page it makes me believe that if DVD+RW drives were better calibrated
>and were writing lead-in with less radial variation (so that "impatient"
>tracking systems wouldn't time out too soon), the [in]compatibility
>wouldn't be [such big] issue.

I don't see DVD+* win in the future.

The important fact is that Ricoh, the only manufacturer likes to
have big amounts of royalties for second source manufacturers.

All DVD-Forum members get the permission to make DVD-* for free.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling