Jörg

Are you saying I can only use rscsi as user root on the client machine
even though cdrecord is setuid root on the client machine?

As root I get:

jever:/home/andree# cdrecord dev=REMOTE:[EMAIL PROTECTED] -scanbus -d
dev: REMOTE:[EMAIL PROTECTED] speed: 4 fs: 4194304
Cdrecord 1.10 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: 'REMOTE:[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
devname: 'REMOTE:[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
scsibus: -1 target: -1 lun: -1
scg__open(REMOTE:[EMAIL PROTECTED]) -1,-1,-1
Warning: Using remote SCSI interface.
cdrecord: locuser: 'root' rscsiuser: 'rscsi' host: '192.168.1.1'
Permission denied.
cdrecord: Success. Cannot get connection to remote host. Cannot open
SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'. Make sure you
are root.

I have added root to .rhosts on the server machine and I can logon using
rsh/rlogin without password to account rscsi no problem. So, why do I
get 'Permission denied.' and in the next line 'cdrecord: Success.
[...]'?

I don't normally only use ssh and don't have rshd installed. Is there a
chance to get it to work with ssh and without having to be root on the
client system.

Best regards
Andree
--