>From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Mon Jun 10 13:43:24 2002

>> Make sure that .rhost is set up correctly.

>The permissions of ~rscsi/.rhosts were a bit, er, liberal. It works now,
>as root I can do

>cdrecord dev=3DREMOTE:[EMAIL PROTECTED] -scanbus

>on the client machine and I get a list of SCSI targets on the server
>machine.
>=20
>> READ  the README's for remote SCSI!

>What do you mean? How do you think did I get as far as I did before
>contacting the mailing list? ;-) Seriously, I tried to do the preferred
>method from README.rscsi.gz as a starting point. Are there other READMEs
>for remote SCSI? If so, I'd be keen to find out whether they have
>information regarding the following:

>o How can I use remote devices without being root on the client machine?

Not possible because of UNIX restictition, but PLEASE RTFM for cdrecord.

>o How can I use rscsi without having to have rshd running on the server=20
>  machine?

Impossible

>o Is there a way to use ssh instead of rsh?

Why?

ssh is way too slow for cd writing.

If you have a ssh aware rcmd(3) implementation it should work.

>Other questions:

>What is your opinion on http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-iscsi? I
>understand that this is only a client to access iSCSI services. Are you
>aware of any server iSCSI development for Linux? This would pretty much
>be what rscsi is doing, wouldn't it?

The RSCSI idea is more than 5 years old and has been finally implemented short
before the ISCSI idea came up. If you believe that ISCSI makes sense, write
a ISCSI transport implementaion for libscg and send it to me...

>I'm using SANE to access a remote scanner just as I'm trying to access a
>remote CD writer via cdrecord/rscsi. This prompts me to ask the question
>whether you've ever contemplated to turn cdrecord into a library just
>like the SANE folks did?

Sorry, I contacted the SANE people many times to use my scsi trnaport
implementaion. They don't like it because their implementation is so InSANE
that it is not possible to integrate a SCSI trabsport with a clean interface :-(

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling