>From: Bernhard Rosenkraenzer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>> The project in question does not contain a single line of contributions
>> from him.

>Actually I remember sending you a patch to get it to build with glibc 2
>when it was new, and I think it got in. I don't mind that you forgot, I
>don't keep track of everyone who contributes to my projects either,
>especially if it's just a couple of oneliners.

Going back to 1996, I cannot find any mail from you that could be related to
cdrecord. Even if it was true and related to glibc 2 it was obviously a hint
how to circumvent a glibc bug....

>> I know not a single Free Software project he started/maintains.

>Then I can understand why you're angry at me. Well, you have a wrong
>picture of me, probably because I prefer coding over bragging about it and
>because I work mostly on other stuff than you.

Again, it seems that is it just the other way round. You obviously are bragging
with dvdrtools but did not contribute a single line of code for it while I am
really working on free software.

>For the record:
>- I'm the present maintainer of GNU grep.

If this was true, then I would have been aware of you.
It looks that rather Paul Eggert is the maintainer because he _is_ envolved
in the current POSIX discussion about regex standardization.

>- I started and maintain CLAP (a C++ class library), NoSpam (a spam
>  filter), kcmlilo (KDE frontend for configuring the LILO boot loader),
>  kwuftpd (KDE frontend for editing wu-ftpd's ftpaccess files)
>  and a couple of other tools, and I'm currently working on a (not yet
>  released) new installer that helps newbies install Linux.

never heard of it...

>- I'm a frequent contributor to KDE, Qt and wu-ftpd.

I don't like/use kde...

>- I've contributed some nontrivial code to a lot of projects, including
>  wine, ncurses, GNU tar, CUPS and man

>- I've contributed small fixes to countless projects, including
>  the Linux kernel, netkit, ncftp, GNU fileutils, .....

I stopped trying to help with those projects at it turned out that the
maintainers are not really interested in help from people who know what they
are talking about.

>> But let us assume he is involved in Free software projects, what it the
>> difference to me

>I don't write proprietary software.

Does this kames you a better free software author?

>> except that I know of a lot of other free software from me
>> (the most popupar is thew oldest free TAR implementation "star") and I know
>> of no free software from this guy.

>Because we happen to focus on things you probably don't care about. If you
>don't know what someone did, don't assume he did nothing.

If you claim to have contributed to GNU tar and are serious you should know star
and have been contacted with earlier.

>> I don't like to describe it again, plase just read other threads that
>> proove that GPL does not protect softweare from being stolen.

>So releasing proprietary software to prevent others from doing it is the
>right thing to do in your opinion?

Yes, it helps to prevent commercial companies from stealing state of the art
code.

>What about killing a random person in the street to make sure nobody else
>can kill him? Pretty much the same thing if you ask me.

You seem to have a power outage in your brain.... How is this related to our
discussion?

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling