* David Bell writes:
>[high system load when doing anything other than burning plain data
>discs]

>Is this an issue in the kernel or cdrecord?

Kernel.

>Is it expected to be fixed soon?

Kinda fixed since 2.5.47 IIRC. ide_scsi isn't needed anymore, but
readcd doesn't work yet.

>If not, if I put the burner on a Promise IDE controller card, would the
>problems subside?

Probably not. Promise controllers are known for not really liking
devices other than hard discs.

I seem to be one of very few people who got audio CD burning to work in
2.4 kernels. In the end I could write audio CDs at 20x speed in RAW96
mode with no more than 3% system load. You can contatc me personally if
you want to know my settings (or google for them) but they don't seem to
work for everyone and Joerg didn't even believe me I got it working ;-)

regards
Markus