On Tue, Nov 26, 2002 at 03:56:21PM -0600, David Bell wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 15:37, Len Sorensen wrote:
> > I see NOTHING there that indicates if dma is on or off, only what is
> > supported.  The * does NOT indicate linux is using dma.
> > /proc/ide/hd?/settings does, as might hdparm device, by itself.
> >
> > Your method most certainly does not.
>
> Sorry about that, It seems I wanted hdparm -v, not hdparm -i:
>
> Maxtor 7200RPM hard drive:
>
> [15:53:45][root@david:/home/david]# hdparm -v /dev/hda
>
> /dev/hda:
>  multcount    = 16 (on)
>  I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
>  unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  nowerr       =  0 (off)
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  readahead    =  8 (on)
>  geometry     = 4998/255/63, sectors = 80293248, start = 0
>  busstate     =  1 (on)
>
> Pioneer 106S DVD-ROM:
>
> [15:53:47][root@david:/home/david]# hdparm -v /dev/hdc
>
> /dev/hdc:
>  HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
>  I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  HDIO_GET_NOWERR failed: Input/output error
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
>  HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
>  busstate     =  1 (on)
>
> Lite-On 24x CD-RW:
>
> [15:54:28][root@david:/home/david]# hdparm -v /dev/hdd
>
> /dev/hdd:
>  HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
>  I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
>  unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
>  using_dma    =  1 (on)
>  keepsettings =  0 (off)
>  HDIO_GET_NOWERR failed: Input/output error
>  readonly     =  0 (off)
>  BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
>  HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
>  busstate     =  1 (on)
>
> ...As you can see (I hope), DMA is enabled on all of these devices.

Yep. Looks on.  Can't think of anything else, other than maybe you are
burning cds that are not plain iso data images.  Anything that doens't
use 2048byte blocks, can't use dma on current linux kernels (supposedly
it will be possible in 2.6 kernels).  Audio would fit that category and
hence use a lot more cpu.

Len Sorensen