On Tue, 2002-11-26 at 15:37, Len Sorensen wrote:
> I see NOTHING there that indicates if dma is on or off, only what is
> supported.  The * does NOT indicate linux is using dma.
> /proc/ide/hd?/settings does, as might hdparm device, by itself.
>
> Your method most certainly does not.

Sorry about that, It seems I wanted hdparm -v, not hdparm -i:

Maxtor 7200RPM hard drive:

[15:53:45][root@david:/home/david]# hdparm -v /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
 multcount    = 16 (on)
 I/O support  =  1 (32-bit)
 unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 nowerr       =  0 (off)
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 readahead    =  8 (on)
 geometry     = 4998/255/63, sectors = 80293248, start = 0
 busstate     =  1 (on)

Pioneer 106S DVD-ROM:

[15:53:47][root@david:/home/david]# hdparm -v /dev/hdc

/dev/hdc:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
 I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 HDIO_GET_NOWERR failed: Input/output error
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
 busstate     =  1 (on)

Lite-On 24x CD-RW:

[15:54:28][root@david:/home/david]# hdparm -v /dev/hdd

/dev/hdd:
 HDIO_GET_MULTCOUNT failed: Input/output error
 I/O support  =  3 (32-bit w/sync)
 unmaskirq    =  0 (off)
 using_dma    =  1 (on)
 keepsettings =  0 (off)
 HDIO_GET_NOWERR failed: Input/output error
 readonly     =  0 (off)
 BLKRAGET failed: Input/output error
 HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
 busstate     =  1 (on)

...As you can see (I hope), DMA is enabled on all of these devices.

Thanks.