* Markus Plail writes:
>* Len Sorensen writes:
>>use 2048byte blocks, can't use dma on current linux kernels
>>(supposedly it will be possible in 2.6 kernels).  Audio would fit that
>>category and hence use a lot more cpu.

>It is already possible in 2.5 kernels and I am still convinced that
>it's also possible with 2.4 kernels. Just tested it once again. Audio
>CD at 20x speed with less than 3% CPU load (user+system). My kernel
>must be doing something "wrong" ;-)

Just a quick update. Today I bought a cd writer for a friend. It's an
MSI 48x. Now I have the very same symptoms as everybody else. At 20x
RAW it takes about 15% system load and when the drive switches to 30x
it's getting unstable already, i.e. 0% idle and buffer getting low. I
have no idea why I only have <3% system load with my acer 20x drive.

regards
Markus