> > Hi all,

> >  I've a small project to backup and restore openldap servers online on
> >centos 5.8. Basically I don't have the luxury to shutdown the ldap server,
> >then backup whole /var/lib/ldap/, but have to backup online with slapcat or
> >similar command line tool.
> >
> > The major concern of using slapcat is the warning below, which was excerpt
> > from link
> > http://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/5.1/Deployment_Guide/s1-ldap-daemonsutils.html
> >
> > You must stop slapd by issuing the /sbin/service ldap stop command before
> > using slapadd, slapcat or slapindex. Otherwise, the integrity of the LDAP
> > directory is at risk.
> > Does the limitation of slapcat -- stop ldap first -- still exist? Please
> > shed a light onto this. Thanks.
> ----
> depends on what you are using for backend. If you are still using ldbm (you
> definitely shouldn't at this point), then yes, it must be stopped before
> doing the slapcat. If you are using > bdb or hdb, no… it's not necessary to
> stop the service first.
>
>Craig

Thanks for confirmation, I'm using the default config/backend with minor
changes, so it seems bdb. The following are the types of the files under
/var/lib/ldap.

alock:           data
cn.bdb:          Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
__db.001:        Applesoft BASIC program data
__db.002:        data
__db.003:        data
__db.004:        data
__db.005:        data
__db.006:        data
DB_CONFIG:       ASCII English text
dn2id.bdb:       Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
gidNumber.bdb:   Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
givenName.bdb:   Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
id2entry.bdb:    Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
log.0000000001:  Berkeley DB (Log, version 11, native byte-order)
loginShell.bdb:  Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
mail.bdb:        Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
objectClass.bdb: Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
ou.bdb:          Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
sn.bdb:          Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
uid.bdb:         Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)
uidNumber.bdb:   Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, native byte-order)

Thanks.