Hi,

We're running mysql in multi-master cluster (galera), mysql standalones,
postgresql, mssql and oracle db's on ceph RBD via QEMU/KVM. As someone else
pointed out it is usually faster with ceph, but sometimes you'll get some
odd slow reads.

Latency is our biggest enemy.

Oracle comes with an awesome way to capture an insane amount of perf stats
and through that we can see that our avg. latency for writes are ~12ms and
reads slightly higher around 15ms. In our usecase that is acceptable. If we
used local [SSD] disks this would be much lower (< 1-2ms).

We've also experienced once that our galera cluster went out of sync due to
a very stressed cluster/network (this particular cluster is satuated every
now and then - both disk and network).

We had to change scheduler from cfq -> deadline on most db-servers to get
acceptable speeds or we encountered writes taking up to 2sec whenever lots
of seq. data had to be written.

I wouldn't run super high precision/performance databases on it though.
Your db performance will always reflect the status of your entire cluster
system. I'd say for anything not requiring extremely finetuned
always-consistent access times it runs very well. At the very least if you
plan to do that, I'd suggest finding some way to isolate and gurantee
performance for your guests no matter how busy your cluster would be (which
I don't think you can do).

We run with SSD journals and SSD backends for most of our db-stuff as we
found using normal platter disks as backend could cause some issues if we
hit a spikey period of cluster activity (even with ssd journals).

Cheers,
Martin