Take a look at ProxmoxVE.  Has full support for Ceph, is supported, and uses
KVM/QEMU.

-----Original Message-----
From: ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com
[mailto:ceph-users-boun...@lists.ceph.com] On Behalf Of Brian Candler
Sent: Friday, April 04, 2014 1:44 AM
To: Brian Beverage; ceph-users@lists.ceph.com
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Live database files on Ceph

On 03/04/2014 23:43, Brian Beverage wrote:
> Here is some info on what I am trying to accomplish. My goal here is
> to find the least expensive way to get into Virtualization and storage
> without the cost of a SAN and Proprietary software
> I have been
> tasked with taking a new start up project and basically trying to
> incrementally move us into a VM environment without the use of a SAN.
Given those objectives, I'd suggest you also have a look at ganeti.

This won't give you the hyperscale storage of ceph, nor the remote
S3/block/filesystem access. What it does give you is a clustered VM manager
which can configure per-VM DRBD disk replication between pairs of nodes. So you
basically get compute nodes with local storage, but with the ability to
live-migrate VMs to their nominated secondary node, with no SAN or shared
filesystem required. It's what Google use to run their internal office
infrastructure, and is very actively developed and supported.

Of course, you still need to test it with your workload. If you're tuning, have
a look at drbd >= 8.4.3:
http://blogs.linbit.com/p/469/843-random-writes-faster/

Ganeti can also manage VMs using ceph rbd backend (I haven't tried that yet).
The not-yet-released ganeti 2.12 has signficantly reworked this to use KVM's
direct rbd protocol access, rather than going via the kernel rbd driver.
http://docs.ganeti.org/ganeti/master/html/design-ceph-ganeti-support.html

So even if you do go with ceph for the storage, I think you'll still find
ganeti interesting as a way to manage the lifecycle of the VMs themselves.
http://www.slideshare.net/gpaterno1/comparing-iaas-vmware-vs-openstack-vs-googles-ganeti-28016375

Apologies if this is OT for this list.

Regards,

Brian.