That was my initial thought, but reading that paper I linked, the 4MB tests are
the ones that bring the CPU's to their knees. I think the erasure calculation
is a large part of the overall CPU usage and more data with the larger IO's
causes a significant increase in CPU requirements.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall Christian, that your cluster is a full
SSD cluster? I think we touched on this before, that the ghz per OSD is
probably more like 100mhz per IOP. In a spinning disk cluster, you effectively
have a cap on the number of IOs you can serve before the disks max out. So the
difference between large and small IO's is not that great. But on a SSD cluster
there is no cap and so you just end up with more IO's, hence the higher CPU.