I left the 4 nodes running overnight and they just crawled to their
knees... to the point that nothing has been written to the logs in the last
11 hours. So I stopped all monitors this morning and started them one by
one again, but they're are still being extremely slow. Here are their logs:

<https://gist.github.com/anonymous/85213467f701c5a69c7fdb4e54bc7406>
<https://gist.github.com/anonymous/85213467f701c5a69c7fdb4e54bc7406>
<https://gist.github.com/anonymous/85213467f701c5a69c7fdb4e54bc7406>
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/85213467f701c5a69c7fdb4e54bc7406
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/f30a8903e701423825fd4d5aaa651e6a
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/42a1856cc819de5b110d9f887e9859d2
https://gist.github.com/anonymous/652bc41197e83a9d76cf5b2e6a211aa2

I'm still puzzled to see logs being written with a timestamp that is
several minutes behind the system clock. As time passes, the gap widens and
quickly the logs are over 10 minutes behind the actual time, which explains
why the logs  above don't seem to overlap.