Depending on how well you burn-in/test your new disks, I like to only add 1
failure domain of disks at a time in case you have bad disks that you're
adding.  If you are confident that your disks aren't likely to fail during
the backfilling, then you can go with more.  I just added 8 servers (16
OSDs each) to a cluster with 15 servers (16 OSDs each) all at the same
time, but we spent 2 weeks testing the hardware before adding the new nodes
to the cluster.

If you add 1 failure domain at a time, then any DoA disks in the new nodes
will only be able to fail with 1 copy of your data instead of across
multiple nodes.