Greetings all!

I am looking at upgrading to Nautilus in the near future (currently on Mimic).
We have a cluster built on 480 OSDs all using multipath and simple block
devices. I see that the ceph-disk tool is now deprecated and the ceph-volume
tool doesn’t do everything that ceph-disk did for simple devices (e.g. I’m
unable to activate a new osd and set the location of wal/block.db, so far as I
have been able to figure out). So for disk replacements going forward it could
get ugly.

We deploy/manage using Ceph Ansible.

I’m okay with updating the OSDs to LVM and understand that it will require a
full rebuild of each OSD.

I was thinking of going OSD by OSD through the cluster until they are all
completed. However, someone suggested doing an entire node at a time (that
would be 20 OSDs at a time in this case). Is one method going to be better than
the other?

Also a question about setting-up LVM: given I’m using multipath devices, do I
have to preconfigure the LVM devices before running the ansible plays or will
ansible take care of the LVM setup (even though they are on multipath)?

I would then do the upgrade to Nautilus from Mimic after all the OSDs were
converted.

I’m looking for opinions on best practices to complete this as I’d like to
minimize impact to our clients.

Cheers,
Mike Cave