From: Sandra Clark [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 10:23 AM
To: CF-Community
Subject: OT: Are phone calls part of Billable Hours

I am converting from a straight contract to an hourly contract for one of my
projects.

I have just received an email from the person and I quote:

<CF_QUOTE>
4) Telephone conversations, discussions, and meetings (within reason) that
are required for the contractor to fulfill his or her obligations are not
billable items unless approved by me in advance. For example, if you talk to
me or Warren (or whoever) about a new feature on the phone -- you can of
course bill for the time spent developing the new feature -- but the time
spent talking about it is not generally billable. This is akin to the time
you spend with the mechanic discussing a problem with your car -- he doesn't
bill you for that, he bills you for the time spent actually fixing it (if
he's honest, at least!)

</CFQUOTE>

Am I off base in considering that time spent on the phone discussing new
features, meetings, etc. are billable time?  I don't consider myself a car
mechanic.  I consider myself a professional.  After all lawyers bill for
every second they spend on a case, even telling you that they don't have
anything yet (at least my divorce lawyer did!)
What is the standard practice for this type of thing.  I don't wish to
alienate this contract however I don't want to be screwed either.

Thanks in advance

Sandy Clark
Shayna Productions.