----- Original Message -----
From: "Sandra Clark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "CF-Community" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2001 8:23 AM
Subject: OT: Are phone calls part of Billable Hours

> I am converting from a straight contract to an hourly contract for one of
my
> projects.
>
> I have just received an email from the person and I quote:
>
> <CF_QUOTE>
> 4) Telephone conversations, discussions, and meetings (within reason) that
> are required for the contractor to fulfill his or her obligations are not
> billable items unless approved by me in advance. For example, if you talk
> me or Warren (or whoever) about a new feature on the phone -- you can of
> course bill for the time spent developing the new feature -- but the time
> spent talking about it is not generally billable. This is akin to the time
> you spend with the mechanic discussing a problem with your car -- he
doesn't
> bill you for that, he bills you for the time spent actually fixing it (if
> he's honest, at least!)
>
> </CFQUOTE>
>
> Am I off base in considering that time spent on the phone discussing new
> features, meetings, etc. are billable time?  I don't consider myself a car
> mechanic.  I consider myself a professional.  After all lawyers bill for
> every second they spend on a case, even telling you that they don't have
> anything yet (at least my divorce lawyer did!)
> What is the standard practice for this type of thing.  I don't wish to
> alienate this contract however I don't want to be screwed either.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Sandy Clark
> Shayna Productions.

The "mechanic" analogy is totally off base.  Have you ever spent more than a
few minutes discussing repairs with your mechanic?  I've spent HOURS on the
phone and in meetings with clients discussing application features, hashing
out the details of what an application should do.  More often than not, the
clients themselves are still figuring out exactly what they want.  And
you're supposed to eat that time while they fiddle around getting their own
act together?  No way.  Not in the real world.

Jim