Your mechanic does not have
> freedom to propose new solutions like "Maybe you should just get a new
> car" or "Perhaps a motorcycle would suit your needs better." He/she/it
> fixes a problem and expects you to go away. Plus, mechanics usually work
> on salary, not on contract; you hire the business at a rate higher than
> the mechanic gets paid per hour so that any time he has to waste
> explaining things to you is already covered.

The reason I use a particular shop is that they solve my transportation
problems,
they just don't work on my car.

On the original topic:

1. Anything I do, as opposed to walking in the garden, should be a billable
hour-- in theory.

2. Better to have the client think of you as some who solves problems rather
than as
someone who might pad the bill to get a few extra bucks out of them.

3. That means you have the job showing them that paying you is not a expense
but an investment.