From: Daniel Dewey [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, May 21, 2001 12:01 PM
To: CF-Community
Subject: RE: PHP

<CF_RANT Correct_Grammar="OFF" FOAMING_AT_MOUTH="ON">
Friends, CF_Coders, Earthlings... I have come here to praise CF App Server
not to trash it...

The article is interesting, but flawed with generalizations and no hard
evidence... plus the author is obviously biased.  He starts with the premise
is that the ISAPI version is always better than a CGI version, which
normally would be true when you deal with a bloatware such as CF.

Whereas one could say that ISAPI apps are better then CGI apps because the
ISAPI app is always loaded, one could just as easily say that the CGI apps
are better than ISAPI apps because they get re-initialized all the time, so
you don't have to worry about threading issues or memory leaks.  [how many
of us remember restarting/rebooting CF 3, and CF 4 processes/servers because
the server had locked?!  CF 4.5 has auto-restart but this 'feature' still
remains].   The author also lambasts PHP loadable modules because they're
not free threaded... which isn't an issue in CGI mode.

It doesn't mention the fact that PHP can do anything/everything CF can do
and whole lot more.  PHP may be a scripting language, but supports ... nay
pratically requires proper programming such as classes and functions [true
coding practices], while CF practically requires sloppy code.  As far as I
can tell, most of the comments about CF scalability (or lack thereof) stem
from poor coding practices.

Case in point: We recieve 1M PHP his/month and the server barely notices the
traffic.
</CF_RANT>

<CF_SUGGESTION>
Someone should come up with a fairly complex [carpoint anyone] application,
write it in CF ASP and PHP, and then benchmark it... so that we can put this
issue to bed... but no one will because it's probably not cost effective.
</CF_SUGGESTION>

<CF_CONCLUSION>
PHP has it's place, just like CF has it's place.  When you're scoping out a
project you have to decide what the project needs to accomplish, then find
the right tool to write it in, not the other way around.
</CF_CONCLUSION>

Ok, I'm done.  Thanks for listening.

---
Daniel Dewey              |"There is a race between mankind and the uni-
Systems Developer         | verse.  Mankind is trying to build bigger,
MCP (NT srvr/wkstn/eprise)| better, faster, and more foolproof machines.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        | The universe is trying to build bigger, better
                                  | and faster fools. So far the universe is
winning"
http://www.pobox.com/~dewey |                 610-868-1421, x115
           The National Association of Colleges and Employers

     These opinions are mine, and may not be the same as my employer