Hi,

To follow up on the topic of starting your own country. I thought I'd use
the subject line above, because of recent events and such. Having a list
talk about starting your own country and the previous touchy subject could
really get us labelled as subversives. Although I do believe that a solid
core of IT people are best suited to start a country.

I actually bought a book titled "How to start your own country". It is
really intriguing and provides short case histories of people/groups that
have tried to do this sort of thing in recent history. This whole field of
study is referred to as the study of micronations.

International law does not provide a mechanism for creating your own
legitmate country. The only way to really become a country is to be
recognized as such by a well established country with clout, such as the
U.S, U.K., Canada, Germany, etc.

However, you don't really become independent when such a thing happens as
you then kind of fall under that country as a protectorate (Like Puerto
Rico).

The last independently started micronation was Sealand off the coast of
Britain, on an abandoned gunnery tower. And, as all countries must to
establish themsleves, Sealand was only recognized after a show of force.
The anti-aircraft gun still worked. As far as I know the country is now
sustained by an e-commerce initiative. Probably gambling sites.

You might also want to check out the novel/movie "The Mouse that Roared".

(Countries formerly enveloped in the USSR don't count as they existed
before)

That's why I think IT folks are best to start a country. Our show of force
wouldn't have to be violent in nature such as guns and stuff. Our show could
be simply taking over vital data or systems and then releasing them once we
are recognized as a country.

I have no intentions of doing such a thing. But wouldn't that be a great
platform for a strategy/tactical game?

The other way to start a country is to accept that you won't be recognized
and just do it as a business venture and consider the taxes you pay to X
country as your defense budget, not tribute.

I'm rambling now.

Guy