It's a rights thing. This was the location of the Holy Temple. Before
Christianity it was there. Before Islam it was there. It's ours. Why can't
we pray there? Why are others claiming it as theirs only? We aren't.
It doesn't matter if the state of Israel exists if Jews are prohibited from
practicing their religion there. We've been prohibited in so many places
for so long that to have it thrown in our faces that "no, you can't pray by
the ruins of the temple" is an insult to the core.
This is all besides the point that most Jews would not pray there for
reasons of ritual purity. It's the fact that we wouldn't (and don't) have
the right anyway. And the clerics there claiming it's a Muslim site only
and we have no right to it.... Chutzpa to the max.