There is actually a lot more at the root of "the Troubles" than religion.
The PIRA are in a communist revolution against the British.  And if I
remember my Marx correctly, religion is part of what keeps the proleteriate
subjegated ("the opiate of the masses").

Religion is just the excuse the parties use.  It is really an economic war
being waged at the expense of the citizens of Ireland and Great Britian.

But beyond your religious observation, I agree with everything else you
brought up.  I do think that the Middle Eastern situation boils down to
something beside religion.  Religion is just the facade they parties can
hide behind and use to whip up support from those that might not really
support the war.

Note to Michael - I do think the religous sites are important.  Banning any
group from them is wrong, regardless of alleged cause.  But it seems to me
that this is something Arafat is using to keep the war going, not the actual
cause of the war.

Russel