> I have only been out of college a couple years now and remember thinking how
> I would have loved to have been able to learn to program back in the day
> like you. I think having a better understanding of early generation
> programming languages would help not only myself, but students of
> programming as a whole get a grasp on what the hell they are doing!!!...

My classes emphasized a working knowledge of what was under the hood as
well as a good theoretical knowledge of programming that can be applied
to just about any modern language.  For example, I had to write a small
compiler for a pretend language to a pretend assembly.  I also had to be
able to write programs in that assembly, because otherwise I wouldn't
understand how to compile to it.

This is also why, for several years, I could do binary or hexadecimal
math in my head almost as easily as decimal.  I can't do it any more,
though.  Maybe I should practice.

> With all the drag and drop crap of today, it makes things easier but it sure
> takes something out of the art as well. I knew people that could use Visual
> Studio to knock out a fairly simple program in C++ but the minute you asked
> them to explain how pointers worked or how hardware and interrupts worked,
> they had not the foggiest notion.

To be honest, I'm pretty fuzzy on how interrupts work.  But I know what
they do.  Pointers, on the other hand, are cool!  So are handles.  :-)

--Ben "apparently well educated" D