>I have only been out of college a couple years now and remember thinking how
>I would have loved to have been able to learn to program back in the day
>like you. I think having a better understanding of early generation
>programming languages would help not only myself, but students of
>programming as a whole get a grasp on what the hell they are doing!!!...
>With all the drag and drop crap of today, it makes things easier but it sure
>takes something out of the art as well. I knew people that could use Visual
>Studio to knock out a fairly simple program in C++ but the minute you asked
>them to explain how pointers worked or how hardware and interrupts worked,
>they had not the foggiest notion.
>
>Oh well... My Visual Studio just crashed, I should reboot. :-)

That is because there has to be a clear distinction between software
engineering and computer science.
Most of software engineers - coders - have taken CS courses.  Problem is we
aren't computer scientist.
I have yet to, in my short career, encounter a problem where I sat there
and asked myself, "Hmm?  What is the Big O here?"

Pointers, stacks, and cursors are less important now because every OS will
handle it for you.
The two languages (Java, .net) that are fighting for market share don't
even give you clean access to most of the pointers, stacks, and cursors
like good old C.
Engineers don't really need to know this kind of stuff now.

On the other hand computer scientist do need know this stuff.