It will be doable as Trillian and other Applications do this, however
unless theres documentation or and SDK on the AIM website then they
will have examined the packets going to and from a client.

The Protocol will be subject to change breaking what you will have
already done, if I recall correctly there is a HTML form you can fill
in one the ICQ site, so if AIM has one of these too then this would
probably be more stable than actually implementing the protocol itself

HTH