The main problem with the moral argument is that it's not applied evenly.

Yes, Iraq may be better off now, but the moral high-ground was not the
launching point of the war: there are perhaps dozens of places that have it
just as bad or worse and we do little or nothing there.

Moral reasoning may make us feel better in the aftermath, but it was never a
primary reason for going to war.

We didn't go in to free the Iraqi people; we went in to oust Saddam.  There
is a subtle, but important difference there.

Jim Davis