Now let me get this straight. The Iraqi army was slowly
disintegrating. It could no longer threaten the surrounding countries,
much less invade them. By the time we invaded Iraq, the Iraqi army was
barely able to control their own country. About 1/3rd of Iraq was
already beyond Saddam's control - the Kurdistan region was autonomous
and the Sh'iite region to the south was in the no-fly zone. Over 50%
of the armour was inoperable, all but a few of the Iraqi air force was
grounded, and the Iraqi navy's 2 patrol boats had already sunk at
their docs because of lack of maintenance and parts.

He needed to be stopped? Hell he wasn't going anywhere, and his regime
was tottering already. He had no real connections to Al Queda - in
fact given the ideologies behind Al Queda and the Ba'athist Party,
they were natural enemies.

After months of intrusive inspections for WMD the UN found nothing.
BTW how many WMD's have the US tiger teams found so far? The only
thing that even came close was a missile that was only in the
prototype stage whose range exceeded the UN/US imposed limits by about
100 km.

So far all that the Iraq war has done for the middle east has created
an even larger training ground for the terrorist groups than either
Chechnya or the Moro Islands in the Philippines.

So why the war?

larry