I avoided Miami because of the crime rate myself. I was of very modest
means when I lived in Florida and I don't like living in war zones.

I lived in Jacksonville, which has good and bad... but I don't
particularly recommend it except from the point of view of hurricane
safety. If you look at the map you will see that North Florida is set
west of Miami/the Keys and so hurricanes travelling north from there
usually bypass the area pretty far out to see then clobber the heck
out of Cape Fear South Carolina or something. This is not a certitude
though. When I worked for Florida Community COllege part of my job was
knowing the drill in the event of a hurricane, and Riverside did get
clobbered while I was living there.

The locals around there recommend Gainesville Florida as being "real"
Florida, with small-town values but also the sophistication of a
highly-ranked college campus.  It's also supposed to be somewhat less
muggy than the east coast and incidentally is probably far enough
inland to be safe from hurricanes. Have not been there exactly though
I have taken a number of long drives through the vicinity and liked
what I saw.

I also really liked St Augustine but could not afford to live there at
the time. It's definitely worth a look if you are passing through the
area.

Sarasota is very pretty in a Rodeo Drive sort of way. The ocean is
beautiful but I don't know if it is hard to get to... the part I saw
was a private beach and I understand this is pretty much the norm.

If you like seashells or bird or nature watching Sanibel is supposed
to be a must-see.

hth
Dana